Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Arrived


4.3.12
5:30pm
In my hotel room in Santo Domingo

I arrived at one of the two Dominican Republic airports called La Isabela International Airport today. One of the first things I noticed about the Dominican Republic is the tropical climate. Here on the coast it can get up to 100º during the summer, but elsewhere it averages 75ºF in the winter months and 82ºF during the summer. It is the wet season, and currently it is pouring and 87ºF. It is always warmer on the coast than inland. The wet season ends in November, and is about half the year. Also, I am hoping that I will not encounter any hurricanes or tropical storms in my stay here, because those are also common during the wet season.

This is a picture of Dominican Republic forest.
Tomorrow, I will meet the family I am going to stay with during my time here. There is a Dad, a Mom, and three kids, which is pretty typical of the Dominican Republic.

8:00pm

I just got back from a fabulous supper at a restaurant down the street. Most families will eat about the same time folks in the US do (circa 6:00 7:30). I had a very pleasant meal of Callaloo soup, a soup with crab and and spinach. I am going to look up the recipe.

8:20

Callaloo Soup - Recipe
5 slices bacon
1 medium sized onion
6 cups coarsely chopped spinach
3 cups canned chicken broth
6 ounce can of cooked crab meat

 I think I am going to try and make this at home. Pretty darn yummy.

4 comments: